Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

For FHE tonight we--being the 3 older kids, Stephen, my mom and SIL Marni--shared memories about my grandma, whom my kids call "Mormor".

I remember that when I was a teenager I used to love to make chocolate chip cookies, well, I liked to mix them up and eat the dough, but absolutely hated putting them on the cookie sheets! Grandma would always do it for me. One year she found a neat contraption that made putting the dough on the sheets easier, and bought it for me. And always canning with her. She always helped me--and often did it for me!


Stephen remembered that she always remembered that he liked root beer, and so whenever we would go and visit she would have a case of it in the downstairs refrigerator just for him. She'd push it on him (not a hard sell!) and send it home with us. Mom remembered that Grandma even sent it with her when she would come and visit us in Portland.

Grandma always remembered little things like that. She would make 3 different kinds of potato salad so that everyone could have what they liked best. Mom said that one time she mentioned to Grandma that she liked her milk room temperature, so Grandma would pour a glass an hour before dinner and let it sit on the counter so that Mom could have it just how she liked it.

Elise was pretty choked up, so we skipped her until she could talk.

Mason remembered getting pushed by Mormor on the Peach Place carts. (this picture is from 2007)


Sammy remembered her giving the 3 older kids quarter books and all the state quarters to fill them. That's actually the last activity they got to do with her.


Marni remembered that just after she and Scotty were married they needed a few more household supplies and she mentioned that she was going to go buy some tin foil. Grandma told her to come with her, and took her down to the garage and loaded her up with tin foil, napkins, saran wrap and other stuff like that. Marni said that she and Scotty still haven't had to buy tin foil!


Lincoln was just over a year when Grandma passed away, but he was the only one who came to the funeral with me. I was pregnant with Trevor when Lincoln and I flew out for the funeral, and I like to think that Grandma got to be with Trevor for a little while before he came to earth. I'm certain that she is close to my family still. Sometimes I just feel like she is near me, cheering me on through the rough days.


Elise pulled herself together and said that she used to love playing barbies and dolls with Mormor. They would dress them and undress them and have so much fun together. Elise cried the most (not counting me or Mom) because she knew her the longest.


We love you, Grandma!

1 comment:

Sabrina O'Malley said...

Your memories are very sweet. What a treasure for you and your children. Your grandma always made me feel so welcomed.