Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I'm going to bed now"

That little phrase can mean so many things. It is a little different for Stephen and I. This is what happens when I say it:

Brush teeth while going around locking doors and closing windows. Lock the car. Turn off all lights. Wash my face.

Check on all 3 kids, cover them up, clear paths through their toys to the door, turn off lights, move fans, fill humidifier

Take Sammy potty...smell the "boy-who-missed-the-toilet" smell. Go get the cleaner in the kitchen...notice that I forgot to do the dinner dishes

Do the dinner dishes, fill my water bottle, start the dishwasher...remember that I need to rotate the laundry

Attempt to rotate the laundry, but the basement door is open and the light is on. Go turn off the light, back to the laundry room, clear a path to the washer, rotate laundry...back to the bathroom to clean up the mess

Make sure the bed is made on the floor by my bed (because it is inevitable that at least one child will be making a midnight visit). Have 2 pillows ready for a 2-child night

Say my prayer - remember that I need to send a quick email to a friend who is having a hard time. Make a list of the things I need to do in the morning. Update my calendar. Check email one last time

Fold clothes on my bed. Put them away

Go downstairs to make sure I locked the car

Crawl into bed

Stephen: "I'm going to bed now"

Brush teeth
Wash face
Say prayer

Go to sleep.

11 comments:

THE YOUNG-INS said...

that sounds about right

Jen H. said...

Too true, too true! This same thing happens for actually falling asleep. Bill is asleep within 2 minutes and I lay awake for an hour thinking of anything and everything.

Jamie said...

haha! so true! Except that my husband just falls asleep and says wake me up when you are REALLY going to bed (without brushing, washing or praying :) )
Your a good mom and wife!

CL said...

LOL! Doesn't that apply for many things in life? ie. need to leave in 5 minutes. Husband gets self ready and out the door and wonders why I'm 5 minutes late as I get myself and the kids ready...

Rebecca said...

AMEN SISTER! I don't know a mom that doesn't do the same thing...nor a husband that doesn't have it so easy in that way!

Sabrina O'Malley said...

OH that is so us! I love it. I am going to have CG read this because it totally makes me laugh.

Deanna said...

LOL - yep that's about us too! When I say it - there's still about an hour before I am actually in bed and falling asleep - Dan knows this and just keeps working on his computer! :P

Sabrina O'Malley said...

i miss elise

katelin o' malley :)

D.B. said...

well Claire, at that point, seems like you should just watch the sun rise and get on with tomorrow :)

Kristen Mackrory said...

Lol! SOOOO true!

kenders said...

Claire, that is so true! Joseph now knows I need at least 15 minutes before he goes to bed. I'm sure I'll need even longer like u when we have kids.