I consider myself a pretty laid-back parent (unless we're talking quiet time...), so when Mason decided to climb our apple tree I thought that was great. I tried not to get too worried as he got higher and higher - I climbed higher trees when I was a kid! (By the way, thanks, Mom, for not freaking out when I climbed really high) He was so proud of himself!
Then he decided to climb our cottonwood tree...as a way to get on the roof. I thought he would chicken out once he got up in the tree, but no. He shimmied out on two branches that were close together, each about 4" in diameter, and at the roof height. From the trunk of the tree to the roof it's about 15', and the branches he chose to climb on were directly above our chain-link fence. He got about half way and wanted me to take his picture. I told him that I thought he should not go any farther, and that he definitely was NOT allowed to go on the roof.
"But I want to surprise Daddy!"
"He's not going to be home for an hour."
"Well, you can take my picture and I can show Daddy. He'll be so proud!"
"No way. I want you to go back now."
"I'll just put my foot on the roof and then climb down."
"I'm not going to look when you want me to anymore - I want you to get down. What would happen if you fell?"
(Have I ever mentioned how good Mason is at negotiating? He is killer. That salesman talent is one I do not encourage...)
I went and shoveled some snow. A few minutes later I was walking back towards the house when I saw it happen.
He slipped and fell.
Fortunately he caught the branch he had been standing on, and as I threw down my gloves and ran towards him I had the reflex to grab our ladder. I had it up in seconds, and as soon as I touched him he fell. I caught him, thank goodness!
As I was holding him, crying and my adrenaline pumping, I heard him whisper, "I wish the branch was bigger so I wouldn't fall." IT WAS NOT THE BRANCH'S FAULT!!!!! I hope experience was a good teacher - don't plan on the branches being big when they are not. Reality is often different than how we want it to be.
3 comments:
Good heavens! I'm so glad you caught him! I'm terrified just reading this--oh wow. Someone was watching out for that daredevil of yours!
Amen. He's not usually my daredevil child...
ooohhh my!!! just seeing that picture nearly put my heart in my throat!! I so can't image my cautious Eileen going even close to that high. You have now given me one reason to be glad we don't have any trees that could be climbed on our property... :)
Post a Comment