The other day at church I met a visitor who happens to be a professional musician. It also happens that I teach his niece piano. We were chatting and I asked him if Lydia had played her Sonatina for him, he said no, she was probably shy about playing in front of him because of his critical opinions. He followed with something about how most music teachers are only good for giving a child a foundation in music and don't have what it takes to teach kids how to really play music well.
I was slightly taken aback at his rather severe opinion of most of the music teachers in the world, and I've been mulling over his rather egocentric view of us since then. It's bothered me more that it should, probably because I include myself in the not-top-tier group of piano teachers. I'm good, but I'm not the best.
After much self-reflection I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay with me and my teaching style. Am I training professional pianists? No. Am I instilling a love of music in my students and helping them progress? Will these kids become a little better because of their music lessons? I sure hope so! Do I love what I do and care about the kids I teach? Definitely! I'm doing the best I can for some pretty fantastic kids.
If I miss teaching exactly how Clementi wanted a certain phrase, I think everyone will live. I don't have to be perfect myself before I help others learn. And that's a lesson that can transfer to many areas of my life!
1 comment:
Agreed - I think that a music teachers FIRST object is to teach the children how to love music. Beyond that giving them a foundation - they have the rest of their lives to learn to become professionals - and then only if it makes them happy - not every child needs or wants to become a concert pianist - all I want for my kids to get from their piano lessons is a love of music and a basic competency, and I trust their teacher to know when she can't teach them any more and to let me know that :) My kids LOVE their teacher (as I'm sure your students LOVE you) and she does a wonderful job introducing them to all kinds of good music and encouraging them. which is why when she moved, I was willing to drive all the way across town to keep going to her.
Post a Comment