I have a pretty cool family. I've been thinking about things I've learned from them lately, because I've been analyzing why I think the way I do about my kids.
My grandma taught me (and her mom taught her) to never refuse something from a child. Isn't that great? Kids want to please--they want to make you happy. So let them!
My mom never referred to 2-year-olds as being in the "terrible 2s"--she always said they were in the "terrific 2s". Isn't that a wonderful way to think about them? Instead of focusing on their rebellion, focus on how much they are learning! You'd be cranky, too, if you really wanted to do something yourself but just weren't capable of it. Cut them some slack--you know you want to act that way sometimes...
My mom also taught me that teenagers are wonderful. Much the same as 2-year-olds. She taught early-morning seminary for years, and frequently got comments like, "I could never teach teenagers!" But she loved being with that age.
My mom loved having her children around her. While other mothers couldn't wait to get their kids back in school, she wanted us to be with her. She taught me that I am responsible for my children's education--and what a blessing that is!
I'm so grateful for the examples of my mom and grandmas. Because of how they teach and love me, I expect my kids to be wonderful at whatever stage of life they are in, and so that is what I see. They taught me to see beyond the phase my child is in and see the goodness of the child. Thank you, Mom! Thank you, Grandma!
5 comments:
What a wonderful gift and blessing your mom and grandmother passed on to you! We all could stand to think about our kids in this light!
I always admired your mother a great deal and you seem to have come out pretty darn good. I would say that anything you can do to emulate her would be a good thing. I've loved finding your blog and poking around.. I hope you don't mind! You are welcome to view mine anytime; (mikkelsonfamily.blogspot.com)
Claire I only wish I had half the characteristics as you do. This is beautifully put...you are an inspiration.
Claire great comments on two year olds. Justin is right in the middle of the "Terrific 2's"! Thanks for the uplifting comments--you're awesome!
Claire, thank you for passing on those refreshing thoughts. Your Grandma, Mom and now You are an incredible inspiration. Much love --
Post a Comment